Jolkona Catalyst 2017
Application Opens: April 1, 2017
Don’t wait – apply early. Early applicants will receive preference for interview times.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2017
What We Are Looking For
Jolkona is now accepting applications from citizens of the countries listed below. We are actively looking for opportunities to expand the list of countries we work with and encourage you to contact us if your country is not listed below. You can email us at email@example.com.
Before you apply, please review the following requirements:
- You must be founder of an active social enterprise that has been in operation for at least one year. Only ONE representative per team. We will not accept entire teams or multiple members from a team.
- We are specifically looking for social entrepreneurs who have spent 2-3 years building a small to medium size social venture (for-profit or non-profit) and have a proven track record
- Founder should be committed to his/her venture and does not see it as a side business or a hobby
- Founder is 21-35 years of age
- Founder must be able to participate for a full THREE week program in U.S. While we are finalizing the dates, the program will most likely take place in October 2017.
- Founder must be eligible for a J1 or B visa
- Founder must be proficient in spoken and written English at the time of application
What We Offer
Young people can leverage entrepreneurship to drive social innovation in their communities. The Jolkona Catalyst program provides young social entrepreneurs with tangible skills, mentorships, and opportunities to establish and grow their social enterprises.
Specifically the program is designed to:
- Develop general entrepreneurship skills around pitching, creating business plans, creating effective marketing campaigns, and team building
- Expose participants to interesting models of social entrepreneurship and social enterprise structures
- Foster job creation and positive social impact
- Build people-to-people exchanges & partnerships
- Transfer best practices
- Showcase entrepreneurs to potential investors in United States & their home countries
- Highlight successful social enterprises to motivate more youths
- Increase social entrepreneurship activities in emerging
Jolkona delivers an actionable curriculum that covers key startup concepts through workshops, one-on-one mentor meetings and site visits. View a sample curriculum: Jolkona Catalyst Curriculum Example
Discussions & hands-on exercises address topics like:
- Defining Mission & Vision
- Determining Product/Market Fit
- Identifying Unique Value Proposition
- Engaging Your Audience With Storytelling
- Sustainable Revenue Models
Jolkona covers a core set of learning objectives and customizes the curriculum to each cohort . This offers a unique learning opportunity that is tailored to the needs of each participant.
Participants also learn how to effectively pitch their social enterprises to a variety of audiences. The program includes a closed-door mock investor pitch where each founder gets feedback on the content and delivery of their pitch from experienced investors as well as a final showcase open to the public celebrating their accomplishments during the program.
We are continually growing our team of mentors that includes members of the Seattle business, startup and education communities. Jolkona mentors work with our Catalysts one-on-one for the duration of the program. Our mentors support our Catalysts as they develop their pitches and offer individualized advice to support our Catalysts in working through their venture’s current challenges.
Questions? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
“Jolkona Catalyst was one of the biggest opportunities for me to have global entrepreneurship training. To step back from my venture, and to look at it from a different perspective helped me to refine the path to our vision…” – Faraiba F, Jolkona Catalyst Alum